So you heard about fasting recently and want to give it a try? There are many different fasts one can take, and for different reasons and goals. Some fasts are stronger and more healing than others. There are raw vegan fasts, fruit fasts, mono fruit fasts, juice fasts, mono juice fasts, water fasts, the Master Cleanse, and so on. How do you know which one to pick? This blog will cover what you need to know about fasting before getting started!
Fasting is the ultimate way to give your body and digestion a break from digesting food. For all of our lives, most of us haven't gone for more than a few hours without eating! This means that our digestive system has been working non stop since the day we were born. Many people do not realize just how much energy it takes for the body to break down the foods we eat. It is an enormous amount of energy. So much so, that when we get sick, our appetite decreases naturally so that the body can conserve its energy to heal. Animals naturally do this as well. They also lose their appetites and fast to help the healing process. This is seen in the wild as well.
Fasting is not something new. It has been around for centuries! Many religions use fasting as a means to detach and become closer to God. Fasting has also been around as a way to detox the body for a long time as well. Before you start a fast you must do a few things.
1. Write down your reasons and goals for doing your fast. Do you want to achieve more energy? Clearer skin? Better digestion? Lose a few pounds? Looking to heal from a disease? It's a good idea to write down your goals for your fast and read them everyday to stay motivated when the going gets tough.
2. Where are you in your diet? Do you eat a standard American diet of meat, dairy, eggs, fast food, wheat products, and processed foods, with little to no raw fruits and vegetables? If yes, a fast will be difficult to jump into. It is best to slowly transition into a fast. Start with a week of eliminating animal products and processed foods and eat a more whole foods plant-based diet with lots of fruits throughout the day. This transition will ensure that your time while fasting will be pleasant and not full of aggressive detox symptoms!
3. What type of fast do you want to do? If you are looking for some major healing and detox, I would personally recommend either one of these fasts: a mono watermelon fast, an orange fast, or a grape fast. Take your pick. These fruits are among the strongest cleansers in the food kingdom. That being said, you can fast with just about any fruit. If you can, choose a fruit you enjoy!
4. Be prepared for the fast. It is best to take time off of work or not have any prior engagements during your fast. Remember, this is a time for your body to heal so give it the rest that it deserves and needs!
5. You can set a goal for the duration of your fast you want to achieve, but it is also wise to take it one day at a time. You can push your body a little bit, but not too much. Listen to your body's signals.
Different types of fasts:
The more simple one's diet is, the more one can heal, as seen in the pyramid above. However, one must slowly work themselves toward the higher levels to safely detox. We don't want a ton of toxins pouring out all at once!
Fasting is often a necessary part of one's detox journey to healing and regeneration. Humans have so many years of abusing their bodies with the wrong foods that toxins have been shoved in the deepest crevices of the body. Sometimes, fasting is the only way to squeeze the body of these toxins. A vegan diet, raw vegan diet, or even a fruitarian diet is sometimes not enough to heal people that are very involved.
Working with a certified detox specialist that has the experience and knowledge to help you during your healing journey is a wise decision. Detox specialists can help you navigate the waters of detox symptoms, healing crisis and what to do when they strike. They can also tell you exactly what your weaknesses in your body are and how to best approach healing them through diet!
Until next time,